Upskilling Door Supervisors Qualification
In March 2012 the SIA announced the intention to require existing door supervisors who had achieved the pre-QCF Door Supervision qualification (for example the National Certificate for Door Supervision) to undertake additional training in order to renew their licence.
HABC have been involved in discussions with the SIA to develop a new qualification that will meet these new requirements for SIA Door Supervisor licence renewals.
The new qualification comprises the following two mandatory units:
Unit 1 - Physical Intervention Skills for the Private Security Industry; assessed by a practical test and a written True/False test which is set by HABC and marked by the tutor.
Unit 2 - Safety Awareness for Door Supervisors; assessed by a 10-question multiple-choice examination which is set by HABC and marked by the tutor.
The new Safety Awareness for Door Supervisors unit of assessment and workbook has been developed to cover the following subjects within the security sector:
• Counter Terrorism
• First Aid Awareness
• Dealing with Children and Young People
1. Understand physical interventions and the legal and professional implications of their use
2. Understand how to reduce the risk of harm when physical intervention skills are used
3. Be able to use non-pain related physical skills to protect yourself and others from assault
4. Be able to use non-pain related standing holding and escorting techniques, including non-restrictive and restrictive skills
5. Understand good practice to follow after physical interventions